While I've contemplated what to post next since my last blog a few months ago about how I have a love-hate relationship with the idea of blogging - I've naturally become overwhelmed with the amount of topics I could talk circles around. So since I recently went to Victory Junction Gang Camp, I thought that would be an ideal place to start. Plus I am so in love with this place and these people - I can't not share them with you.
First, what is Victory Junction? Well in short, it's one of the greatest places ever. It's a camp for children with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses. It's just like any old summer camp (on steroids) with a safe and medically sound environment offering 24-hour medical supervision. The camp is completely NASCAR themed as it was donated by Richard and Lynda Petty in honor of their son, Adam Petty, who had a vision of one day starting a camp just like Victory Junction before he passed away. His parents made his dream come to life. I know absolutely nothing about NASCAR but I don't need to to tell you this place is amazing. Children come from all over the world to experience VJ. And the best part is the average cost of sending a child to camp is valued at about $2,500 but no family incurs a single cost thanks to generous donors. http://www.victoryjunction.org/
While the majority of children that attend VJ aren't able to visit your average summer camp, it's incredible to witness dreams brought to life resulting from something so simple as camp that most of us take for granted. This is the second time I've volunteered for a fall family camp weekend and couldn't feel more gracious for the opportunities to experience the love and joy I have through the families and friends I've met. Victory Junction undoubtedly shocks my selfish heart and rejuvenates my soul with it's joyful, carefree, innocent environment roaming with grateful, exuberant and smiling children who are able to abandon feeling defined and confined by their daily struggle and instead feel encouraged and limitless. How could that not pump your spirit full??
I’ve had the pleasure of being a crew chief (counselor) for the same family two consecutive years. The best way to explain this situation is utter gratefulness and a true testament to God's love and glory. The fact that our lives crossed paths is one of those unexplainable circumstances where I can’t possibly fathom my life any other way - the idea of potentially going my whole life without knowing this precious family of four is unimaginable and seriously anxiety-ridden. Glory be to God for orchestrating our lives to connect the way they have for my spirit and soul are flooded with joy in the mere presence and thought of the Vu family. I wish everyone could meet these special people who are near and dear to my heart because I promise their genuine love and kindness would make you lovestruck instantly. Their pure hearts can't help but saturate into everyone else's around them. I can attest to that. I don't think I can say I've met a family as respectful, kind-hearted, sincere, and honest as this one. Love to my sweet Vu's! So blessed to have you in my life :)










No comments:
Post a Comment